Day 4: Now today definitely started off interesting. Rebecca and I had a 5:50am train to Prague, at what is thought to be one of the main train stations in Vienna. We got in the cab at 5am and told the driver where to take us. He looked confused, called someone on his cell, and then said he knew where he was going and took us to a station. He dropped us off at what we thought was the right station -- we went in, and looked for our train on the board, and saw that it was not there. There was also no one in the station except for a homeless person. This is when we started getting worried. Thankfully I had my international blackberry! (Aren't you glad I brought this Mom?) and called my Mom and had her figure out where we were actually supposed to be. We went into a nearby hotel and they called us a new cab and we made it to the correct train station. Turns out the train station changed names, but they still print the old name on the train tickets -- confusing tourists! Anyways, once we got to Prague we checked into what was my favorite hostel - the Czech Inn (get it?) This hostel was GORGEOUS. It was pretty much a hotel, and had full breakfast (with CEREAL and PINEAPPLE and ORANGE JUICE) every morning. These are all things that are hard to find in Florence. We then went to the Prague State Opera House to see a performance of Turandot.
Day 5: We spent most of the day in the Jewish Quarter. We went to 6 different Synagogues, a Jewish Cemetery, and a Jewish Museum. About 100,000 Jews are buried in this cemetery.
We then ventured to Old Town Square, saw the Astronomical Clock, got dessert (yes, before dinner), at this really awesome bakery, and then got dinner at a Czech Restaurant.
Day 5: We started off our last day in Prague by going to the Museum of Communism. I learned a lot, met a group of people from Australia, and well, had some debates with an Australian guy about Facism and WWII. WARNING: Those of you in America will be extremely dissapointed in ALL of our food choices of this day -- however you must remember, we are two girls who have not had any type of American food in 2 MONTHS. Therefore, I think our choices are completely justifiable. :) Anyways, after our visit at the museum of communism, we decided to go get Ben and Jerry's on our way to the train. You might be wondering, why Ben and Jerry's when you are in the country of delicious pastries. Well -- we have been strong and resisted the urge to get Ben and Jerry's in Florence because of gelato, therefore we decided that Ben and Jerry's was probably the best ice cream we'd find in Prague, so it was totally okay. HOWEVER, the person working there was on break, and even after waiting 30 minutes, they never came back. So we had to settle for a McDonald's McFlurry. (This might have been a poor judgement call, but for those of you who know me, when I get the idea of ice cream in my head, there's no getting it out.). We then went to Prague Castle, which was gorgeous. After visiting the castle we went to Petrin Tower. Keep in mind - this was all Rebecca's idea - as the idea of climbing the "eiffel tower of Prague" was not my top choice, since I'm scared of heights. What I also did not realize when agreeing to this, was that it was not an elevator, and it was not closed in. Therefore, as I was climbing, I could easily reach (or fall) off the stairs. Lets just say, I lasted about 2 minutes on the FIRST level before I turned white, started shaking, and how to run (yes, running was the best option because the sooner I got down the better), down the stairs to safe ground.
Overall, Prague was AMAZING. Minus the cold, the snow, and the really not nice people, I loved it. The buildings were gorgeous - in Florence you can count on the white/cream buildings with a red roof, but in Prague the buildings were all different colors: pink, purple, yellow, blue. Just absolutely stunning. The streets were small like Florence, which I liked - but ah, I don't know, I loved it! If the people were nicer, and they if they didn't use such weird currency (200 Korona = $10), I might have to move there.

No comments:
Post a Comment